North Indian Naan Recipe
- 2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons kalonji (onion seed)
- Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 a nd 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size .
- Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
- Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji. Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.