How to make tasty Carrot Rice
(Carrot Sadam, Gajar Baath) Ingredients
- Rice – 1 cup (uncooked) or 2 cups cooked rice
- Grated carrot – 1 cup (about 3 carrots)
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Green chilly – 2 (slitted)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1 tblsp
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 strand
- (You could also use channa dal and some cashew nuts for tempering)
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 3-4
- Peanuts – 1 tblsp
- Grated Coconut – 2 tsp
- Cook the rice separately and keep it aside. Spread it on a tray to ensure that the grains dont stick to each other.
- Heat little oil (2 tsp) in a pan and splutter the ingredients under ‘for tempering’.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilly and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and the grated carrot and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the rice and required salt.
- (If you are in a hurry you could stop with this but I like to go further and add some more flavoring.)
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a small pan and fry the ingredients under ‘for masala’ until it turns nice and golden brown.
- Coarsely grind it and toss this powder along with the rice. This adds nice flavor and crunch to the rice.
- Garnish with ribbons of carrot and finely chopped cilantro and serve with some raita.
- You could also squeeze the juice of half a lime and a pinch of garam masala while tossing the rice.