Gobi Manchurian recipe, How to make Gobi Manchurian at home
Gobi Manchurian is a very popular Indian Chinese (also known as Indo-Chinese) dish. In this recipe the cauliflower florets also known as Gobi in India is deep fried and tossed in a spicy sweet and sour Indian Chinese sauce. This recipe is the adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to suite Indian palate.
Makes: 4 to 5 servings
Ingredients for Gobi Manchurian Recipe
- 15 cauliflower florets of lemon size
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt to taste oil for deep frying
For Manchurian Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped green chillies
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon red chilli sauce (asian style)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable/sunflower oil
- Salt to taste
Method for Gobi Manchurian Recipe
- Heat oil in a wok or a deep fryer.
- In the meanwhile, dissolve the corn flour and all purpose flour along with pepper and salt in water.
- Add the cauliflower florets and mix until the florets get coated with the flour mixture. Add about 5 florets (or the amount your deep fryer /wok can hold) at a time into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain in paper towels. Keep aside.
- Mix the corn flour with 1/4 cup of water.
- Add soya sauce, ketchup, chilli sauce and salt.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan on high heat; add garlic, ginger, green chillies, spring onions and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the corn flour mixture to the above and cook for a few minutes until thick and the corn flour is cooked. Turn off heat.
- Toss the Fried Cauliflower with the Manchurian Sauce and serve.
- Garnish with spring onion leaves and extra green chillies if you like it spicy.
Garnish with the chopped spring onion greens and coriander leaves. Enjoy!